the perfect holiday, occasion or game day recipe.
Over 3,000 great recipes, bona fide and clone!
Explore new tastes with our international recipes
Sweet Potatoes - Healthy, Delicious & Easy to Cook
Even though sweet potatoes are usually considered Thanksgiving fare,
the nutritional world has been a proponent of their health benefits
for years. Thankfully, the culinary world is catching up and sweet potatoes
are now a menu staple at many restaurants.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with carotenoids, vitamin C, potassium and
fiber and are considered one of the 10 best foods for you on the planet.
If all that isn’t good enough for you, they are delicious as well.
For those who are conscious about consuming too many carbs, don’t worry!
You can consider them “good carbs” and it is perfectly acceptable to
add them to your diet.
Sweet Potatoes Make a Great Snack Too
Some people shy away from cooking sweet potatoes because they think
it may be difficult. Let me tell you, it isn’t. Sweet potatoes are very
simple to prepare. The first and easiest method is to cook them in the
microwave; something kids can do for themselves after school instead
of firing up an Easy Mac.
• Wash the sweet potato and rub off dirt. Do not dry because you will
need this moisture to cook.
• Puncture with a fork several times to avoid the sweet potato exploding
in the microwave.
• Wrap the sweet potato in a paper towel.
• Place in microwave on a microwave safe plate.
• Set the timer for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the sweet
• When it’s done, let the sweet potato sit for a few minutes to let
the cooking process finish.
• Add your favorite toppings like butter, brown sugar and cinnamon or
just eat as is for the healthiest option.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Here is my favorite method for cooking sweet potatoes. It is one recipe
that everyone in my family loves and there are never any left overs!
I usually bake one sweet potato per person.
• Wash sweet potatoes and rub off the dirt. Dry well.
• Cut sweet potatoes in wedges, leaving skin on for maximum nutritional
• Toss sweet potatoes in a few tablespoons of olive oil and Cajun seasoning
(this can be easily found in the spice section of your grocery store;
you will soon be adding it to everything!)
• Lay sweet potatoes in a flat baking pan shaking them to make sure
they are all in one layer.
• Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes depending on your oven. You
can turn them over midway between cooking if you want them crunchier.
• Serve as a side dish or even a main course; vegans eat these in truckloads!
Article courtesy of Moms
Kitchen Gadgets – a great resource for helpful, honest and in-depth
reviews on products like the
Cuisinart Food Processor,
Panasonic Bread Maker and a few of the most popular
KitchenAid Mixer Attachments.