Rum Fruit Cake
1 cup candied cherries, chopped
1 cup slivered citron
1 1/2 cup currants
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1 1/4 cups figs, coarsely chopped
1 cup dried prunes, cooked, drained and chopped
2 cups dark seedless raisins
2 cups dark rum
1 cup softened butter
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, sieved
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups slivered blanched almonds, toasted
- Soak fruits in rum for 3 days.
- Cream butter; add sugar, then cream again. Beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients; blend well.
- Drain fruits; add nuts. Pour batter over fruits and nuts; mix. Pour into two prepared 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours.
- Cool in pans on racks. Wrap in aluminum foil; age 1 month before using.