Apple Pie Coffee Cake
Yield: 16 servings
1 (18.25 ounce) box spice cake mix
1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
3/4 cup regular or fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons whole or fat free milk
- Set aside 1 tablespoon cake mix. Set aside 1 1/2 cups pie filling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, water, oil, extract and remaining cake mix and pie filling. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour half of the batter into a 10-inch fluted tube pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and reserved cake mix; sprinkle over batter. Spoon reserved pie filling over batter to within 3/4 inch of edges; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cooled cake.
NOTE: Cake mixes no longer contain 18.25 ounces of cake mix. They are around 15.25 ounces. To extend the cake so that your recipe turns out properly, use our Cake Mix Extender recipe.