Ding Dong Cake
1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 1/4 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch
- Cake: In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant pudding.
Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, oil and water. Mix
until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for
45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted
into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire
rack before removing from pan.
- Slice a 1-inch thick slice off of the top of the cake and set aside.
Scoop out the cake for the center of the bottom part to within 1
inch of the sides. Discard or save for another use.
- Filling: Whisk together the flour and milk. Cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once the flour and milk mixture has cooled, beat the 1/2 cup shortening,
butter, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until light and
fluffy. Add the milk mixture and continue to beat for 4 more minutes.
Spoon into the center of the cake and replace the layer sliced from
- Glaze: Combine the chocolate chips, 1/4 cup shortening, corn syrup
and water in the top of a double boiler. Heat, stirring frequently
until melted and smooth. Pour warm glaze over the top of the cake
and smooth over the sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
NOTE: Cake mixes no longer contain 18.25 ounces of cake mix. They are
around 15.25 ounces. To extend the cake so that your recipe turns out
properly, use our Cake Mix Extender