Ding Dong Cake
1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 1/4 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- Cake: In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant pudding. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, oil and water. Mix until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- Slice a 1-inch thick slice off of the top of the cake and set aside. Scoop out the cake for the center of the bottom part to within 1 inch of the sides. Discard or save for another use.
- Filling: Whisk together the flour and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once the flour and milk mixture has cooled, beat the 1/2 cup shortening, butter, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the milk mixture and continue to beat for 4 more minutes. Spoon into the center of the cake and replace the layer sliced from the top.
- Glaze: Combine the chocolate chips, 1/4 cup shortening, corn syrup and water in the top of a double boiler. Heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Pour warm glaze over the top of the cake and smooth over the sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.