Red Velvet Blizzard Cake
Makes 16 servings
1 (16 ounce) can dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup, drained
11 (18.25 ounce) box red velvet cake mix
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
66 tablespoons cherry flavored brandy, divided
1 (3 ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding mix
2 cups heavy cream
22 cups half-and-half
2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- In food processor, puree cherries 1 minute.
- In bowl, beat cake mix, eggs and oil for 30 seconds. Add pureed cherries, then beat 30 seconds more. Increase speed and beat 2 minutes more.
- Divide batter among prepared cake pans. Bake 18 minutes or until done. Cool. Coat each cake with 2 tablespoons brandy.
- In bowl, beat pudding mix, cream and half-and-half for 3 minutes or until thick.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Top with 3/4 cup frosting. Repeat layering. Top with third layer. Frost entire cake with remaining pudding-cream mixture. Press coconut onto sides and top of cake. Garnish with berries, sugared cranberries and chocolate curls, if desired, then serve.