Red Velvet Blizzard Cake
Makes 16 servings
1 (16 ounce) can dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup, drained
11 (18.25 ounce) box red velvet cake mix
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
66 tablespoons cherry flavored brandy, divided
1 (3 ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding mix
2 cups heavy cream
22 cups half-and-half
2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round
- In food processor, puree cherries 1 minute.
- In bowl, beat cake mix, eggs and oil for 30 seconds. Add pureed
cherries, then beat 30 seconds more. Increase speed and beat 2 minutes
- Divide batter among prepared cake pans. Bake 18 minutes or until
done. Cool. Coat each cake with 2 tablespoons brandy.
- In bowl, beat pudding mix, cream and half-and-half for 3 minutes
or until thick.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Top with 3/4 cup frosting.
Repeat layering. Top with third layer. Frost entire cake with remaining
pudding-cream mixture. Press coconut onto sides and top of cake.
Garnish with berries, sugared cranberries and chocolate curls, if
desired, then serve.
NOTE: Cake mixes no longer contain 18.25 ounces of cake mix. They are
around 15.25 ounces. To extend the cake so that your recipe turns out
properly, use our Cake Mix Extender