Date Nut Cake Roll
1 cup pitted whole dates, snipped
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
3/4 cup chopped nuts
Cream Cheese Filling:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- In small saucepan combine dates, water, the 1/4 cup sugar and the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling. Cook and stir over low heat until thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- In mixing bowl beat eggs at high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the 1/2 cup sugar. Fold in cooled date mixture.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and allspice. Fold into egg mixture. Spread in prepared jellyroll pan. Top with nuts.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto towel sprinkled with a little confectioners' sugar. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Cool. Unroll and spread with cream cheese filling. Re-roll and chill.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Beat together all ingredients.