1 1/2 pounds mixed citrus fruit
(grapefruit, orange, lemon)
12 cups cold water
6 cups granulated sugar
- Wash, dry, quarter, and seed fruit. Slice fruit quarters very thin.
Measure 4 cups fruit and juice into an 8-quart heavy, enamel Dutch
oven. Add water. Cover and let stand for 24 hours.
- Uncover and boil gently until reduced to 6 cups, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Measure 6 cups pulp and juice into same Dutch oven. Add sugar. Bring
to boil; stir to dissolve sugar. Boil rapidly; stir often, until
mixture sheets off spoon (8 degrees F above the boiling point of
water on candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat. Stir gently and skim
foam from top.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars.
Leave 1/4-inch headspace. Seal with canning lids according to manufacturer's
- In a boiling water bath, process for 5 minutes from
the moment water returns to boil. Add 1 minute for each 1,000 feet
above sea level.
- Cool on rack.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place.