Kudzu's purple blooms appear in the fall. They have a grape-like
aroma. Beware that there is pollen in the blooms. The jelly is a
lavender-pink jewel-tone shade with an aroma of apple or plum jelly.
2 cups firmly packed kudzu blossoms
4 1/2 cups water
4 or 5 cups granulated sugar
1 box Sure Jell (fruit pectin)
- Rinse the freshly gathered kudzu blossoms.
- In a saucepan, bring the blossoms and water to a boil. Simmer for
approximately 20 minutes, until blossoms are faded in color and
the liquid is a deep lavender color.
- Strain in a colander and discard the blossoms.
- Pour liquid through a jelly bag or cheesecloth.
- Use 4 cups of the kudzu liquid with sugar and fruit pectin, following instructions
on pectin package.
Yield: about 6 cups jelly