2 1/2 quarts ripe mesquite beans, in pods
1 package powdered pectin
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pick the beans just as they begin to turn brown. At this point they
should be tan and plump.
- Break the beans, pods and all, into small
pieces. Do not try to shell them. Cover with water. Simmer the beans.
Mash the beans with a potato masher until you have a yellow liquid;
strain. Continue to cook until there are 3 cups of juice.
- Place the juice in a large kettle and add the pectin. Bring the
juice to a full boil. Stir and boil for one minute or until the
syrup sheets from a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Skim off
the foam. You may add a drop of red food coloring to give the jelly
more color, if desired.
- Pour immediately into hot, sterilized jars.
- Cover with melted paraffin or a tight-fitting lid.