T.G.I. Friday's Malt Cake
Makes 16 servings.
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
1 pint whipping cream
1 1/4 cups malted milk powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make Malt Frosting before the cake so that it can chill for at least
- Malt Frosting:
Melt chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
Set aside to cool.
- Beat whipping cream and malted milk powder in electric mixer on
high speed until stiff but not dry, about 2 minutes; refrigerate
about 30 minutes.
- Whip sugar, cream cheese and vanilla extract in a separate bowl
until creamy, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. Add melted chocolate
chips and beat 1 more minute. Add half of malt-cream mixture and
beat until uniform in color. Fold in remaining malt-cream mixture
by hand until frosting is uniform in color.
- Refrigerate at least
2 hours before icing cake.
Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Prepare 3 round 9-inch cake pans with
butter and flour and line with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Beat oil, milk, yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract with electric mixer
until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in
separate bowl. Slowly add 1/3 of dry ingredients to milk mixture
and beat until well blended. Beat in 1/3 of boiling water. Add another
1/3 of dry ingredients and beat until well mixed; then beat in another
1/3 of water. Add remaining dry ingredients, beating well, then
add remaining water and beat until well mixed. Scrape mixing bowl
- Pour equal amounts of batter into prepared pans. Bake until toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Do not open
oven while cake is baking.
- Cool pans on rack for 15 minutes, the
remove from pan, take off paper, and continue to cool completely.
- Frost top of one layer with Malt Frosting, then place second layer
on top and frost; top with third layer and frost tops and sides.
- Refrigerate 2 hours before cutting.