Upper Crust Bakery
Black Gold Cookies
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped coarse
18 ounces semisweet chocolate,
1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons sifted all-purpose
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1 1/2 cups pecans
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water
melt unsweetened chocolate, 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, and butter, stirring
occasionally, and remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs with sugar until light and fluffy.
Add espresso powder, vanilla extract and chocolate mixture, beating until smooth.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and add to
chocolate mixture, beating until just combined. Stir in remaining semisweet
chocolate and nuts until combined well.
- Scoop out 1/2-cup measures of cookie dough, arranging them 3 inches apart
on ungreased baking sheets. Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven 25 minutes,
or until tops begin to crack (do not over-bake).
- Cool cookies on a rack.
Yields 12 (3- to 4-inch) cookies.
Source: The Upper Crust Bakery - Austin, Texas
>> Restaurant Recipes