3/4 cup Masa Harina
1/2 to 1 tablespoon salt, depending on taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 pounds beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, chopped
6 large cloves garlic, minced
2 Serrano or jalapeno chiles, minced
1 dried chipotle chile pod
3 ancho chile pods
1 dried New Mexico chile pod
4 New Mexico chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
6 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Remove stems, seeds, and veins from dried chiles. Place both dried
and roasted chiles and 1 1/2 cups of broth in a saucepan. Boil 5
minutes, then steep 15 minutes.
- Combine Masa Harina, salt and pepper in a paper bag. Add meat to
bag and shake to coat.
- Place oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot. Heat at high temperature
until oil almost just starts to smoke. Add meat, stirring constantly
to prevent sticking. Add onions, garlic and jalapenos or serranos.
Cook and stir until soft.
- Add 4 1/2 cups of beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and
simmer. Puree all the peppers and liquid in a food processor or
blender. Add puree to meat and stir. Cover and simmer 2 to 3 hours,
or until meat is tender.
- Add cumin. Add salt to taste. If needed, thicken with additional
Masa Harina and a little water.