Coca-Cola Country Ham
1 (14 pound) country ham
1 quart Coca-Cola
1 teaspoon whole cloves
6 whole allspice
Water to cover
- Soak the ham overnight covered in water. Cut ham hock off with
a hacksaw so the ham will fit in your pot or roaster.
- Put Coca-Cola, cloves, allspice and peppercorns in a large pot
to which the ham has been added. Cover with water. Simmer ham
for 25 minutes per pound.
- Partly cool ham in water in which it was cooked. Skin the ham.
Trim fat to 1/2-inch thickness. Stud entire ham with whole cloves
placed 1/4 inch apart. Cover ham and cloves with a 1/2 inch
layer of dark brown sugar.
- Bake ham at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Put a mixture of 1 cup Coca-Cola and 1 cup water in the pan
to prevent burning. You may have to renew some of the water.
If the sugar gets very black, turn heat down to 250 degrees
F and bake an extra 30 minutes. The sugar should be caramelized
with a dark brown, almost black, appearance.
- Cool, then slice
>> Ham Recipes
>> All Meat Recipes