Country Ham with
Brown Sugar Coating
1 (10 to 12 pound) uncooked country ham
1 (64 ounce) bottle apple juice
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons
dry sherry, red wine, or cider vinegar
- Place ham in a large container. Cover with water, and let soak 24 hours.
- Drain ham. Scrub ham in warm water with a stiff brush; rinse well. Place
ham in a large cooking container. Insert meat thermometer, making sure it does
not touch fat or bone. Add apple juice. Add enough hot water to cover ham. Bring
to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until meat thermometer registers
142 degrees F.
- Let ham cool in drippings 3 hours.
- Remove ham from drippings. Cover and refrigerate ham at least 8 hours.
- Trim skin from ham. Place ham, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting
pan. Sprinkle fat with ground cloves.
- Combine brown sugar and sherry; brush over ham.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until coating is golden and
crusty (ham will be cool).
- Slice thinly to serve.
Yield: 30 servings
>> Ham Recipes
>> All Meat Recipes