Country Ham with
Brown Sugar Coating
1 (10 to 12 pound) uncooked country ham
1 (64 ounce) bottle apple juice
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry, red wine, or cider vinegar
- Place ham in a large container. Cover with water, and let soak
- Drain ham. Scrub ham in warm water with a stiff brush;
rinse well. Place ham in a large cooking container. Insert meat
thermometer, making sure it does not touch fat or bone. Add
apple juice. Add enough hot water to cover ham. Bring to a boil;
cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until meat thermometer
registers 142 degrees F.
- Let ham cool in drippings 3 hours.
- Remove ham from drippings. Cover
and refrigerate ham at least 8 hours.
- Trim skin from ham. Place ham, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow
roasting pan. Sprinkle fat with ground cloves.
- Combine brown
sugar and sherry; brush over ham.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for
10 to 15 minutes or until coating is golden and crusty (ham
will be cool).
- Slice thinly to serve.
Yield: 30 servings