Deep-Fried Turkey Rub
1 (15 pound) fresh turkey
25 medium whole bay leaves
3 1/4 teaspoons dried
3 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
3 tablespoons hot Creole seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 gallons peanut
- Wash turkey inside and out under cold running water; pat dry. Finely grind
bay leaves in spice grinder; transfer to small bowl. Finely grind thyme, oregano,
and peppercorn separately; add to bay leaves. Mix in Creole seasoning and garlic
- Rub 1/3 spice mixture on inside of turkey, 1/3 under skin of breasts and
1/3 on outside of turkey; place in roasting pan. Cover; marinate overnight or
up to 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Bring turkey to room temperature. Using a wooden skewer, thread neck flap
securely to bottom of turkey. Fold wing tips under. Using steel or aluminum
wire, truss legs and pope's nose together securely; form a handle with wire.
This will enable you to hold turkey while submerging in hot oil.
- Heat oil in 10-gallon pot with liner basket over high heat until temperature
registers 360 degrees F on a candy/deep-fry thermometer. Holding turkey by handle,
immerse in oil. Maintain temperature at 360 degrees F while frying. Fry until
golden brown, about 45 minutes, or 3 minutes per pound.
- Lift turkey from oil; transfer to a wire rack over a roasting pan. Drain
for 15 minutes.
>> Turkey Recipes
>> Chicken Recipes