Speedy Streusel Apple Pie
Source: The Pampered Chef
1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
1 egg, separated
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons Pantry Korintje Cinnamon, divided
5 or 6 medium red baking apples,
such as Jonathan (about 6 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla ice cream or thawed, frozen whipped topping
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature 15
- Place one pie crust in Deep Dish Pie Plate, gently pressing dough into bottom
and up sides. In Small Batter Bowl, separate egg white from yolk using Egg Separator.
(Set yolk aside for another use.) Whisk egg white until frothy. Brush egg white
over bottom and halfway up sides of crust using Pastry Brush; set crust aside.
- For streusel, finely dice remaining crust using Chef's Knife (it is not
necessary to unfold crust); place in Classic Batter Bowl. Chop pecans using
Food Chopper. Add pecans, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the
Cinnamon to Batter Bowl; toss using Classic Scraper and set mixture aside.
- For filling, core and slice apples, leaving peel on, using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer;
cut slices into quarters using Utility Knife. Using Lemon Aid, juice lemon to
measure 2 teaspoons juice. In large Colander Bowl, combine apples, lemon juice
and vanilla; toss to coat using Mix 'N Scraper. In small Colander Bowl, combine
cornstarch, remaining sugar and remaining Cinnamon; mix well. Add cornstarch
mixture to apples; stir to coat evenly. Spoon apple mixture into crust. Sprinkle
streusel evenly over apples.
- Place pie in microwave oven. Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes or until apples
are very hot, rotating dish after 4 minutes. Immediately place pie on bottom
rack of conventional oven.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until topping is deep golden brown.
- Remove pie from oven to Nonstick Cooling Rack; let stand 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over pie using Flour/Sugar Shaker. Slice using Serrated
Bread Knife; serve with Mini-Serving Spatula.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings or 16 sample servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 420, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol
10 mg, Carbohydrate 67 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 200 mg, Fiber 3 g
Cook's Tip: When a microwave oven is not available, place apples, lemon juice
and vanilla extract in Stir-Fry Skillet. Stir gently over medium-high heat until
apples are very hot and slightly tender; remove from heat. Add cornstarch mixture;
stir to coat evenly. Spoon hot apple mixture into crust; sprinkle with topping.
Bake in conventional oven as directed above.
>> Pampered Chef Recipes