Oregon Fruit Pies
1 (16.5 ounce) can Royal Anne Cherries*, undrained
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
Oil or shortening (for frying)
- Filling: Mix cornstarch and sugar in medium saucepan. Add cherries with juice. Bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce becomes transparent. Set aside to cool slightly while making pastry.
- Pastry: Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening to make coarse crumbles. Mix in water with fork until dough holds together. Shape into ball and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece on lightly floured surface to a 5-inch round. Place scant 1/4 cup filling on each round circle (do one at a time). Fold over and crimp edge with fork (some juice will leak out).
- Heat 1 1/2 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Gently place a few pies at a time into hot oil with slotted pancake turner. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Dust with confectioner' sugar when cool.
If you prefer not to fry these pies, you can also bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with milk before baking.
* One 16.5 ounce can dark sweet cherries or berries can be substituted.