New England Scones
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1/2 pound butter
10 ounces raisins or currants
18-20 ounces (2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups)
Beaten egg, for glaze
- Mix flour with baking powder, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar
- Cut butter into flour to make a coarse texture.
in raisins or currants.
- Gradually blend in heavy cream just
until dough is moist to the touch.
- Drop into greased muffin tins. Brush with egg that has been
beaten with a little of the cream.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree
F oven for 20-25 minutes until done.
- Serve warm with butter and strawberry preserves.