Old Fashioned Chicken and Slick Dumplings
A real Southern treat! The dumplings are rolled out, not round. They are thin
4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken meat
6 potatoes, cubed
5 small onions
5 cups water
Ground black pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
3 stalks celery tops
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons rendered chicken fat or Crisco
- Place chicken in a large pot. Add salt and pepper, a dash of cayenne, a
bay leaf, and a handful of celery tops. Cover with water, and cook until done.
- Discard bay leaf. Add vegetables, and continue cooking until vegetables
are nearly done.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Mix together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking
powder and chicken fat or Crisco. Mix in enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Divide dough into three parts. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick or a little thicker;
cut into squares.
- Add 1/3 dumplings to simmering chicken, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add another third, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the remaining third, and cook 5 minutes longer.
>> Southern Recipes
>> Regional American Recipes