2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
1/4 cup butter, melted
Orange segments (optional)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons light or dark rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare Rum Syrup; set aside.
- Cake: Beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
- Add flour, baking powder, orange peel and butter. Beat until well blended.
- Spread batter in a greased, floured 9-inch cake pan with a removable
- Bake at 375 degrees F until cake just begins to pull away from
sides of pan and center springs back when lightly pressed (about
- Set warm cake in pan on a rack; set rack over a plate to catch any
- Pierce cake all over with a fork.
- Slowly pour Rum Syrup over
cake; let cool.
- Just before serving, remove pan rim; garnish cake with orange segments,
if desired, and mint sprigs.
- Rum Syrup: In a small pan, mix sugar, orange peel, orange juice, lemon peel,
lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Boil, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat
and let cool, then stir in rum and vanilla extract.
Yield: 8 servings