2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons grated orange
1/4 cup butter, melted
Orange segments (optional)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons light or dark rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare Rum Syrup; set aside.
- Cake: Beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
- Add flour, baking powder, orange peel and butter. Beat until well blended.
- Spread batter in a greased, floured 9-inch cake pan with a removable rim.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until cake just begins to pull away from sides of pan and
center springs back when lightly pressed (about 20 minutes).
- Set warm cake in pan on a rack; set rack over a plate to catch any drips.
- Pierce cake all over with a fork.
- Slowly pour Rum Syrup over cake; let cool.
- Just before serving, remove pan rim; garnish cake with orange segments, if desired,
and mint sprigs.
- Rum Syrup: In a small pan, mix sugar, orange peel, orange juice, lemon peel,
lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring,
just until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then stir in rum and vanilla extract.
Yield: 8 servings
>> Southwestern Cake Recipes
>> All Southwestern Recipes
>> Mexican Cake Recipes