Carnitas Sandwiches with
4 pounds boned pork shoulder, cut into large cubes
(remove as much fat as possible)
1 quart (4 cups) beef broth
1 (16 ounce) jar chunky tomato salsa
3 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, diced
2 cups fresh pico de gallo salsa (recipe follows)
8 sandwich rolls or buns, split lengthwise (see note)
Sour cream, for garnish
- In large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine pork chunks,
broth and salsa. Add enough water to completely cover meat. Cover
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for
3 to 4 hours or until meat pulls apart easily.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove meat from liquid in pot (discard liquid) and place in a roasting
pan. Break meat into small chunks. Roast meat for 15 to 20 minutes
until brown and crispy (carnitas).
- While meat is roasting, combine avocado dice with prepared pico
de gallo salsa.
- To serve, spoon carnitas into sandwich rolls and top with avocado
salsa and sour cream. (Meat can be prepared in advance and transported
to a picnic or party.)
Yield: 8 servings