Strawberry Tamales are served topped with Cream Sauce and fresh strawberries.
8 dry corn husks
Sweet Pink Tamale Dough
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup granulated
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or molasses
3/4 cup strained strawberry
1 cup white corn Masa Harina
2 tablespoons softened butter
fresh lemon juice
1 can strawberry pie filling or fresh sliced strawberries
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons granulated
2 cups fresh strawberries
- Bring water, sugar, syrup and puree to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat;
stir in Masa Harina. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Mixture should roll into a ball without sticking
to your fingers.
- Spread pink dough onto husks, which have been softened in hot water in your clean
sink. Leave a margin at each side.
- Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of strawberry pie filling in a line through middle of
dough. Fold in both sides and press seam together, making sure strawberry filling
stays completely inside the dough. Leave ends open. Roll husk and tie ends tightly.
Steam for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on thickness. Tamales will come easily
off the husk and have a spongy texture when cooked.
- Cream Sauce: Whip cream. Slowly add sour cream and continue whipping until stiff
peak stage. Add remaining ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, dollop cream sauce on cooled sweet tamales. Top with strawberries.
Yield: 32 tamales
>> Southwestern Tamale Recipes
>> All Southwestern Recipes
>> Mexican Tamale Recipes