Pumpkin Truffle Pound Cake
with Browned Butter Icing
Hide a luscious surprise - a thick band of semisweet chocolate - in the center
of this rich cake.
2/3 cup (from 14-ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
3 cups all-purpose
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup canned
pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/4 cup butter (do not use margarine)
1 cup powdered
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening;
lightly flour (or spray with baking spray with flour).
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat condensed milk and chocolate chips over medium-low
heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice
and salt until blended; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups butter, the granulated sugar and brown sugar
with electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with pumpkin
until well blended (batter will be thick).
- Spoon 2/3 of batter (about 5 cups) into pan, bringing batter up about 1
inch on tube and on outside edge of pan.
- Stir chocolate mixture; spoon into center of batter, being careful not to
touch sides of pan.
- Spoon remaining cake batter (about 2 cups) over filling; smooth top.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes
out clean and center of crack is dry to touch.
- Cool cake in pan 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Place cooled cake on serving plate. In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter
over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Pour browned butter into medium bowl; stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and
milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until spreadable (mixture will thicken as it cools).
- Let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly cool; stir.
- Drizzle over cake.
Prep Time: 25 Min
Total Time: 2 Hr 45 Min
Yield: 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 50 to 60 minutes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 510 o (Calories from
Fat 240), Total Fat 27g o (Saturated Fat 16g, o Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 135mg;
Sodium 360mg; Total Carbohydrate 60g o (Dietary Fiber 2g, o Sugars 40g), Protein
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 5 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Pillsbury.
>> Thanksgiving Recipes Index