Hawaiian Style Chicken Wings
Keep the wings warm in a chafing dish, or reheat in the oven. The pineapple gives these wings an exotic, sweet flavor.
4 pounds chicken wings
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 (14 ounce) can pineapple chunks
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Asian style hot sauce
- Prepare chicken wings by cutting off wing tips and separating the wing at the elbow joint (discard tips or save for making stock).
- Melt butter in shallow baking pan in a preheated 400 degree F oven.
- Stir together ketchup and garlic and brush over wings, then roll them in the bread crumbs to coat evenly. Place in pan, turning to lightly coat with butter. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Add water to the reserved juice to make 3/4 cup liquid. Stir in the brown sugar, ginger, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- After wings have cooked 20 minutes, turn them over, then pour on the sauce. Bake for about about 20 minutes longer or until chicken is tender. Add the pineapple for last 5 minutes of cooking. Finished wings should be lightly browned.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 10, 2001.