Bierock (Baked Stuffed Buns)
2 packages yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups warm milk
8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2/3 cup lard or shortening
1 pound ground pork or beef
2 onions, chopped
1 head cabbage, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Herbs of your choice to taste
Soy sauce (if desired)
- Mix yeast, the 1 tablespoon sugar, and the water in a small bowl; let foam.
- Mix the 3/4 cup sugar, salt and milk in a medium-size bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of the flour, lard or shortening and eggs.
- Add the yeast mixture and the milk mixture to the flour mixture in the large bowl.
- Let the batter rise. After it has risen, mix in remaining 4 cups of flour, knead, and let the dough rise again. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- Filling: Cook the filling in a large kettle or Dutch oven by first browning the meat. Drain meat well. Mix onions, cabbage and seasonings with meat.
- To assemble, grease two baking sheets. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When the dough has risen, roll out pieces about the size of an egg into a circle, spoon filling on, and wrap up, pinching edges to seal, and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush each bierock with melted margarine and let them rise for about 15 minutes. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes.