2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mascarpone cheese *
3/4 cup sifted confectioners'
1 tablespoon amaretto (optional)
3 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate,
grated and divided
1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture
resembles coarse meal; stir in beaten egg. Gradually stir in wine, mixing well.
Shape dough into a ball; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; roll dough to 1/16 inch thickness.
Cut into 3 1/2-inch circles; roll circles into 5-inch ovals with a rolling pin.
Place a cannoli form down the lengthwise center of oval, and roll dough around
form. Moisten seam with water to seal.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350 degrees F.
Fry cannoli shells 1 minute or until golden brown. drain on paper towels, and
cool about 5 seconds. Carefully remove cannoli form. Cool shells completely.
- Thoroughly drain ricotta cheese in a strainer, discarding liquid. Place
ricotta cheese in container of an electric blender or food processor, and process
- Combine ricotta, mascarpone cheese, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, and,
if desired, amaretto in a medium mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric
mixer until light and fluffy. Fold in 2 grated squares of chocolate; chill 4
- Pipe or spoon filling into shells. Sprinkle shells with 1/4 cup confectioners'
sugar and exposed filling with remaining grated chocolate.
- Serve immediately.
* As a substitute for mascarpone cheese, combine 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese,
1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/4 cup whipping cream; beat well. Use 1 cup mixture for,
reserving remainder for other uses.
>> Italian Recipes
>> All Ethnic Recipes