Make Summer Super with
(ARA) - From block parties to backyard barbecues, summer is when people get together and
enjoy the delectable tastes of the season. The classic American potluck is always
a favorite gathering, especially when friends, family and neighbors bring out their
best dishes for everyone to enjoy.
The perfect recipes for summer parties are ones that are quick and easy - providing
maximum flavor for minimum time spent in the kitchen. When it comes to cooking for
a crowd, go with something that will reliably get rave reviews, while keeping in
mind whom you're cooking for. If it's a crowd with a more sophisticated
palate, you can try something a little more adventurous. If it is a group with notoriously
picky kids, go a little more mild with kid-pleasing classics. If it's a big
enough crowd, you might even want to try both.
It's always a great idea to take a healthful approach to whatever you bring
to the table. Whether you're bringing a main course, a side, or a dessert, there
are plenty of healthy recipes to choose from. Wherever you can, opt for ingredients
like fresh vegetables and fresh or dried fruit. Raisins, in particular, are a wise
choice to add flavor and good nutrition to all kinds of dishes. They are fat- and
cholesterol-free, and contain antioxidants and fiber - good-for-you qualities that
can healthfully enhance any dish.
Try incorporating plump California raisins into a more exotic dish like couscous
salad along with fennel, garbanzo beans and chopped fresh cilantro for a subtly
sweet-and-savory combination. Or, add them as an extra pop of sweetness to miniature
apple tartlets - a party-perfect version of classic American apple pie. To get more
ideas and inspirations for delicious raisin recipes, visit www.LoveYourRaisins.com.
All-American Raisin Apple Tartlets
Prep: 30 min | Cook: 20 min
- 2 tablespoons heart-healthy buttery spread
- 4 medium green apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup California raisins
- 18 sheets phyllo dough Butter flavor cooking spray
- 9 tablespoons shredded low-fat sharp Cheddar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F and spray 12 cupcake tins with nonstick cooking
- Melt buttery spread in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in apples and
cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon and
cook for a minute more; add raisins and set aside.
- Meanwhile, lay one sheet of phyllo on a cutting board; keep remaining covered
with a damp towel to prevent drying. Spray sheet with cooking spray.
- Repeat with
five more sheets, sprinkling 3 tablespoons cheese in under the last layer; press
firmly to keep cheese in dough. Assemble 2 more stacks. Cut each stack in half crosswise
to make 6 pieces; then, cut each piece lengthwise into 6 strips for a total of 36
strips. Center and press 3 strips into each tin, letting the dough extend over the
top by about 1/2-inch. Divide and spoon fruit mixture in centers.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned; then, tent loosely with foil and bake for 10 minutes more,
Makes 12 small desserts
California Raisin Couscous with Vegetables
- 1 box couscous, plain
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pint red pear or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 heads fennel, bulb only, small dice
- 1 English or hothouse cucumber, peeled, seeded and small dice
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, small dice
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 2 bunches Italian flat leaf parsley, picked and chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, picked and chopped
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Salt and pepper
- Place one box of couscous in a large bowl or shallow rectangle pan.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over couscous along with salt
and pepper. Then pour boiling water over couscous to cover. Mix with fork; cover
with plastic wrap and set aside for five minutes.
- Remove plastic and fluff couscous with a fork to avoid lumps and let cool.
- Once cool, add remainder of ingredients and toss well.
- Reheat to serve.
Note: Make sure all ingredients are ready before making couscous. For variety,
sprinkle crumbled feta cheese on top just before serving.
Makes 8 side dish servings
Courtesy of ARAcontent
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.