Bourbon-Bacon Field Peas with Collards
- 1 (1 pound) package Camellia Brand Field Peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups water
- 1 small bunch collard greens, stems removed, sliced, about 4 cups
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper, for garnish
- Fried chicken, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bacon using a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Add onion to drippings. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in field peas, bay leaf, water and bacon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Stir in collard greens, bourbon, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until peas and collards are very tender, about 45 minutes more. Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve with fried chicken.
Prep: 10 min | Cook: 2 hr 20 min | Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings
This recipe is courtesy of Taste of the South magazine and was tested by the Taste of the South test kitchen. Camellia Brand is the official dry bean of Taste of the South.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: