Cranberry Barbecue Beans
Sweet savory, and bursting with cranberries, these barbecue beans are begging to be served alongside your holiday ham.
Bean math: 1 (15 ounce) can beans = 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, drained.
- 1 (1 pound) package Camellia Brand Navy Beans
- 8 ounces thick cut bacon, chopped (6 slices)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup cane syrup
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In a large bowl, add beans and water to cover by 3 inches. Cover and let soak overnight.
- Drain beans and rinse.
- In a large Dutch oven, add beans and water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain, discarding liquid.
- In same Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is beginning to render, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and starting to brown at edges, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and cranberries; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add ketchup, barbecue sauce, cane syrup, mustard, and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, until sauce is thick, 45 to 60 minutes.
Yield:10 to 12 servings
This recipe is courtesy of Taste of the South magazine and was tested by the Taste of the South test kitchen.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: