Hart Stillwell's Baked Beans
Hart Stillwell, a frontier novelist, made a rough version of these beans over
campfires while on fishing and hunting trips. If you like beans less sweet, reduce
the amount of brown sugar.
These beans reheat well and keep refrigerated for several days.
- 2 pounds cooked navy beans or other white beans
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (or less)
- 3/4 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 4 slices slab bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into a baking
- Bake the beans, uncovered, about 1 1/2 hours, or until they have thickened
and cooked down, with a "skin" just beginning to form on the top of