- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pick over peas; wash thoroughly. Place in a heavy saucepan; cover with water.
Soak overnight; drain.
- Add salt pork, green pepper and onions. Cover with water and simmer 2 hours
or until peas are tender.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- When peas are done and water has cooked very low, add remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook over low heat until all liquid is absorbed.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings