Early American Rum Egg Nog
This is actually a recipe that the Bacardi rum people published in a magazine
so many years ago we don't remember which magazine it was! We've put our own personal
Barbadian spin on Early American Rum Egg Nog for years and it's a smash hit every time
we serve it. The full recipe can be halved (or doubled) depending on the size of your holiday
- 24 egg yolks (save whites for your favorite meringue recipes; they can be frozen indefinitely)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 quarts milk
- 2 fifths Mount Gay Eclipse rum (Barbados' finest!)
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- Beat egg yolks until they are light in color.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture is thick and pale.
- Gradually add milk and rum (we never use all the rum the recipe calls for; for the full recipe, using Mount Gay, only about one fifth is really needed!).
- Chill mixture for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Whip heavy cream until it forms semi-stiff peaks (you can add a little sugar to the cream, if you like).
- Fold whipped cream into chilled nog and chill another hour.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and drink yourself into a rosy glow!
Shared with Recipe Goldmine by Pat W., Nashville, Tennessee.