Beer Can Date Bread
- 8 empty beer cans
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup dates
- 2 cups beer
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup pecans
- Remove tops from beer cans with can opener; lightly oil insides.
- Sprinkle baking soda on dates. Heat beer to boiling and pour over date mixture;
set aside to cool.
- Cream butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and eggs. Stir in flour. Add
nuts and cooled date mixture. Spoon batter into cans, filling only 1/2 full.
- Bake with cans standing up on cookie sheet, at 350 degrees F for 15 to 30
minutes; look for tops to split and test for doneness.
- Do not cut bread for 1 day as the bread may crumble if it is sliced while