Can Can Date-Nut Bread
- 1 (8 ounce) package Bordo Imported Diced Dates
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place dates and raisins in covered bowl. Add baking soda and boiling water.
Cover and let stand.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla extract. Add egg and beat well. Add
flour; mix until moistened.
- Pour in fruit mixture, including liquid and pecans, and mix gently to prevent
crushing the fruits.
- Place a small amount of butter in the bottom of each of 5 empty condensed
soup cans. Let the butter melt in the cans in the oven for a few minutes, before
filling with batter. Then fill cans 2/3 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Remove from can while warm.
- If you prefer to make this recipe in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, butter the bottom
of pan. Add batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes, or until cake tests done.