- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup orange
- 2 medium size bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Combine flours, salt, soda, baking powder, dry milk, wheat germ, sugar, nuts
and raisins in a large bowl, blend thoroughly with pastry blender or fork.
- Whirl eggs in container of electric blender until foamy.
- Add oil, molasses, orange juice and bananas, whirling after each addition.
- Add apricots, whirl just enough to chop coarsely.
- Pour mixture into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir just until all flour is moistened.
- Pour into 2 (7 1/2 x 4-inch) greased loaf pans (or can be baked in greased muffin
pans in a moderate oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Half the recipe makes 3
cups of batter and 1 1/2 dozen muffins).
- Bake loaves in a slow oven, 325 degrees F, for 1 hour until center is firm when
pressed lightly with a finger tip.
- Cool slightly in pan on wire rack, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- When cool, wrap tightly and store overnight to mellow flavors.
Yield: 2 loaves or 1 loaf and 18 muffins
>> Quick Sweet Bread Recipes