Apple Thyme Cheddar Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Danish Creamery Butter, cold and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 3/4 teaspoon dry whole leaf thyme)
- 3 ounces (1 cup) grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Granny Smith apple; peeled, cored and chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a 2- to 3-quart mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, breaking up clumps and coating cheese with flour mixture.
- Combine buttermilk and egg. Stir buttermilk mixture, thyme and apples into flour/cheese mixture; mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gather dough into a ball and knead against the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl (if necessary dust hands with 1/2 tablespoon flour). Turn dough and press loose pieces until they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean. Form into a ball and place on buttered or parchment lined baking sheet; pat into 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges and separate pieces 1/2-inch apart.
- Sprinkle wedges evenly with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: 8 scones
Challenge package recipe developed by Challenge Home Economist.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.