Cherry Almond Scones
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted and cooled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
For brushing the scones
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, and
- Cut the butter into dry mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives,
until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal.
- Mix in the cherries and almonds.
- Gradually pour in the buttermilk and extracts and mix with a wooden spoon or
a rubber spatula until the dough just comes together. Do not over-mix.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and pat it with your hands into a
9-inch round about 1-inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 wedges with a floured knife
or metal board scraper. Place the scones on a parchment paper-linked baking sheet.
- Brush them with the heavy cream and generously sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and finish baking
until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter and honey or jam, if desired.
Makes 8 scones.
To toast nuts and seeds: Place the almonds in a heavy skillet over medium
heat for a few minutes, tossing, and stirring constantly until they brown lightly
and give off a toasted aroma.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.