Cinnamon Schmear Scones
These tender, buttery scones feature a thick, rich swirl of cinnamon through their center. Because of their moist cinnamon filling, they remain soft and fresh longer than most scones.
- 3/4 cup Baker's Cinnamon Filling Mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 1 cup cinnamon chips (optional)
- White sparkling sugar, Demerara sugar, or cinnamon-sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- Cinnamon Filling: Stir together the Baker's Cinnamon Filling Mix and the water to make a smooth paste. Set it aside.
- Dough: Combine the dry ingredients and cut in the butter, mixing to make irregular crumbs.
- In a small bowl or cup, blend together the egg, vanilla extract and milk. Add this to the dry ingredients, along with the cinnamon chips, and stir with a fork until the dough just comes together.
- Turn the sticky mass out onto a floured work surface and knead it gently into a rough 10-inch square or circle.
- Here comes the mud-pie part. Spread the cinnamon filling over the dough, covering as much of the surface as possible without being too persnickety about it. Now, fold the dough over on itself a few times to make a big mound, and to enclose the filling. Gently pat the mound into a 9- to 10-inch square. Cut the square into 16 squares, or 18 triangles (nine squares, each cut in half diagonally). Place them on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Topping: Brush with milk (or spray with Quick Shine) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven and gently transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Yield: 16 to 18 scones
Recipe and photo used with permission from: King Arthur Flour
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.