Coconut Almond Scones
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 7 ounces almond paste, chilled
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a large cookie sheet, or line the sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and
- Add the lemon rind.
- Using two knives or a food processor, cut the butter into
flour mixture until the butter is evenly incorporated and there are no large chunks.
- Grate the almond paste and mix it into the flour mixture with 1/2 cup of the flaked
- In a medium bowl, beat the coconut milk, egg and almond extract until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat with a spoon until the dough pulls away from the
sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Knead 5 or 6 turns to get a nice consistency.
The dough should be firm enough to roll out but still delicate, not stiff or dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using
a 2 1/2-inch diameter cookie cutter, cut out the scones and place on prepared cookie
sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown and spring back to
Makes about 22 scones.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.