- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease and flour baking sheet.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt in deep bowl.
- Stir in lemon peel.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in eggs and just enough milk or buttermilk to form soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gently roll or pat dough to about 1/2-inch thickness, lightly flouring as necessary to prevent sticking. Cut out rounds using 2-inch floured biscuit cutter. Set 1/2-inch apart
on prepared baking sheets.
- Brush with cream or milk for a rich sheen.
- Bake until scones are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Glaze with a simple vanilla glaze if desired.
- Serve hot with sweet butter and an assortment of jams and marmalades.
Yield: 16 to 20 scones