Orange Marmalade Scones
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Orange marmalade
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sift dry ingredients; mix in orange peel.
- Cut in shortening; add egg and orange juice. Stir well.
- Knead on lightly floured board 6 times. Roll into an 8-inch square
1/2 inch thick. Cut square into quarters, each quarter into half diagonally, then
each triangle in half to yield 16 scones of equal size.
- Place on baking sheet, indent
centers and fill each with 1/2 teaspoon orange marmalade.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter and marmalade.