Pumpkin Scones with Berry Butter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries or dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scones: In a mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar,
baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry blender cut in the 1/2 cup chilled butter or
butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, pumpkin, and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to
dry mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding
and pressing gently for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges.
- Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, brush tops
with additional milk.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove scones from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm with Berry Butter.
- Berry Butter: In a small bowl combine dried cranberries or dried blueberries
and boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain well and finely chop berries.
- Stir together the 1/2 cup butter , confectioners sugar and the cranberries
- Cover and let chill at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavors
Yield: 12 scones; 3/4 cup Berry Butter