- 1 small jar maraschino cherries
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Cut cherries into quarters; set
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar
, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat together egg and buttermilk.
- Add egg mixture, coconut, ginger and drained
cherries to flour mixture, stirring with a fork only until combined.
- Lightly knead on a floured surface 12 times. Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2-inch
thickness. Cut dough into 8 pieces, using a floured, 4-inch round biscuit cutter.
Place rounds on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Using a sharp, floured knife, cut each scone into four wedges. Do not separate.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and reserved maraschino cherry
juice; mix well. Drizzle glaze over hot scones.
- Serve warm.