Whole Grain Apricot Scones
Impress guests with these sophisticated apricot scones made with whole grain oats and whole wheat flour. Carnation® Nonfat Dry Milk helps keep these scones moist and tender and they can be made with different.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, cut into pieces, softened
- 1 cup (6 ounce package) dried apricots,* chopped
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
* 1 cup golden raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries or 1/2 cup currants can be substituted for the apricots.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Combine 1 cup oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, dry milk, brown sugar and baking powder in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in apricots.
- Stir in 2 eggs, just until blended. Do not over-mix.
- Knead dough 8 to 10 times on lightly floured surface. Pat into 9-inch circle and place on prepared baking sheet. Score top into 12 wedges with knife.
- Combine remaining egg and water in small bowl.
- Brush egg mixture over top of dough; sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons oats over dough.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on baking sheet on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Break or cut scones apart at scored lines.
- Serve warm.
- Store any remaining tightly covered.
Yield: 12 scones
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe Servings Per Recipe: 12 Amount
Per Serving Calories: 290 Calories from Fat: 110 Total Fat: 12g (18% of DV) Saturated
Fat: 7g (35% of DV) Cholesterol: 75mg (25% of DV) Sodium: 210mg (9% of DV) Carbohydrates:
40g (13% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 3g (12% of DV) Sugars: 18g Protein: 7g
Vitamin A: 20% of DV Vitamin C: 0% of DV Calcium: 10% of DV Iron: 10% of
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestle and meals.com