Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 package yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk, (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rolls: Dissolve yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar in 1 1/4 cups skim milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and egg; stir well.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour, cocoa and salt to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning top to coat. Cover
and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16 x 8-inch rectangle. Brush egg white over entire surface.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over dough. Starting at long side, roll up dough tightly, jellyroll fashion; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll).
- Cut roll into 16 (1-inch) slices, using string or dental floss. Arrange slices, cut sides up, in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan coated with vegetable cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake rolls at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; stir well. Drizzle over rolls.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 7/10/01 5:30:28 pm.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases with no additional cost to you.