Cherry Baby Cakes
If you make the mini cakes, you'll have plenty to stash - unfrosted - in
the freezer in tightly covered containers for up to three months. Thaw and frost
when ready to eat more. Or use the batter to make about 16 full-size cupcakes.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter,
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cherry marmalade or
cherry preserves, large pieces snipped if necessary
- 2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 60 maraschino cherries with stems,
- To make cupcakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 60 (1 3/4-inch) muffin cups
with miniature paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk,
butter, egg and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed
for 1 minute. Spoon 1 scant teaspoon of batter into each muffin cup. Add 1/2 teaspoon
of cherry marmalade and top with 1/2 teaspoon additional batter.
- Bake cupcakes about 12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes
out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely
on wire rack.
- To make icing: In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract
and milk. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing reaches drizzling
- To garnish: Pat cherries dry with clean paper toweling. Drizzle each cupcake
with about 1/2 teaspoon icing. Dip half of each cherry into remaining icing; place
on top of cakes.
Yield: about 60
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 63; Carbohydrates 13 g; Protein
0 g; Fat 1 g, including sat. fat 1 g; Cholesterol 6 mg; Sodium 36 mg; Dietary fiber