Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
Strawberry cake is jam-packed with flavor from tangy strawberry gelatin to rich chocolate frosting.
Split the layers by pulling a piece of unflavored dental floss or heavy thread horizontally through the middle of the layer, moving floss in a back-and-forth motion.
Skip the dipped strawberries and just serve a fresh strawberry with each cake serving.
If using oil rather than shortening when making dipped strawberries, garnish the cake just before serving. The coating made with oil will soften quickly.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- 1 (4 serving size) box strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint (2 cups) medium-large strawberries (18 to 20 strawberries)
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening or vegetable oil
Filling and Frosting
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 (1 pound) container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy milk chocolate frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with shortening and lightly flour, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- Cake: In large bowl, mix cake mix and gelatin.
- Beat in water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (batter will be lumpy). Pour into pans.
- Bake as directed on box for 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Dipped Strawberries: Meanwhile, gently rinse strawberries and dry on paper towels (berries must
be completely dry).
- Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt vanilla baking chips and shortening over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Dip lower half of each strawberry into vanilla chip mixture; allow excess to drip back into saucepan. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate
until coating is firm, about 30 minutes, or until serving time.
- Split each cake horizontally into 2 layers.
- On serving plate, place top of 1 layer, cut side up; spread with 1/3 cup of the jam.
- Add bottom half of layer, cut side down; spread with 1/3 cup jam.
- Add top of second layer, cut side up; spread with remaining 1/3 cup jam.
- Add bottom of remaining layer.
- Frost side and top of cake with frosting.
- Arrange dipped strawberries around top of cake.
- Store in refrigerator.
Prep: 15 min | Total: 2 hr | Servings 16
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 420 (Calories from
Fat 140), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 2 1/2g), Cholesterol 40mg;
Sodium 350mg; Total Carbohydrate 67g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 49g), Protein 4g
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 3 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: