Butterscotch Pound Cake
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Adjust rack to lower third of oven; preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and
flour a 10-inch tube pan or other 12-cup decorative tube pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a sheet of wax paper.
- Using an electric mixer, preferably with a paddle attachment, mix the butter
at medium speed until it is smooth and creamy.
- Maintaining the same speed, add the
sugar in a steady stream. When all the sugar has been added, stop the machine and
scrape the mixture clinging to the sides of the bowl into the center of the bowl.
Continue to mix at the same speed for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is very
light in color and fluffy.
- With the mixer still on medium speed, pour in the eggs, cautiously at first,
tablespoon by tablespoon. If at any time the mixture appears watery or shiny, stop
the flow of eggs and increase the speed until a smooth, silken appearance returns.
Then decrease the speed to medium and resume adding eggs.
- Continue to mix, stopping the mixer and scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- When the mixture looks fluffy, white and increased in volume (adding the eggs
and incorporating them into the mixture takes 3 to 4 minutes), reduce the mixer
speed to low.
- Add the flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with the milk in
3 additions. Scrape the sides of the bowl often, and mix until smooth after each
- Stir in the vanilla extract at the end.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and spread it level.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a rack
and cool completely before slicing thinly with a serrated knife.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.