Fiery (or not) Almond Brittle
Enjoy a little heat with this ultra crunchy candy treat. Or, leave out those ingredients to savor the buttery tones, sweetness, and almonds.
Omit ground red pepper and crushed chile pepper to eliminate the touch of "fire."
Microwave times are based on a 950 to 1000 Watt oven; for 650 to 700 Watt oven increase cook times by a minute at each stage.
- 2 tablespoons Challenge Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red chile pepper
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole raw almonds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a large cookie sheet; set aside. (a silicon baking sheet could be used instead).
- In a small custard cup, melt the butter (microwave High for about 30 seconds).
- Stir in the peppers; and set aside.
- In a 2-quart glass batter bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and salt. Microwave on High for 3 minutes. (The syrup will be boiling rapidly, about 275 degrees F – soft crack stage.)
- Stir the mixture and add almonds. Microwave on High an additional 5 to 6 minutes, stirring about half way through the cooking time. (The syrup will be light brown – about 350 degrees F – hard crack stage).
- Stir in the butter/pepper mixture. Sprinkle baking soda over mixture, stirring constantly.
- Immediately pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Cool; then break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 1 pound
Recipe and photo used with permission from: