Dreamy Orange Divinity
- 1/2 cup orange-colored white chocolate*
- 1 teaspoon orange oil
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
* or use white chocolate and add candy food coloring
- Prepare orange pieces: In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the
orange-colored white chocolate. When smooth and melted, remove from over double
boiler and add orange oil (orange extract may also be used).
- Pour onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and spread evenly.
- When cool, chop into medium small pieces. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, salt, and corn syrup in a 3-quart saucepan; cook over
low heat stirring gently until sugar is dissolved. Turn heat up to medium and
place lid on pan for 2 to 3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals. Uncover and
continuing cooking without stirring until candy thermometer reaches hard ball
stage (260 degrees F).
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, just before sugar mixture is ready.
- Pour hot sugar mixture over egg whites in a thin stream while mixer is at
- Add vanilla extract and continue beating until candy starts to loose its
gloss and hold its shape.
- Add nuts and orange pieces.
- Drop by rounded spoonsful onto wax paper.